Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extracting I put my combs (25 mediums) back into a few different colonies to clean them off. In one colony that was in 2 mediums, I added a medium of the empty comb on the bottom of the colony. In another colony, the bees filled 3 mediums, and were working on pulling a few frames from the the fourth. I swapped the empty combs in the 4th (top) for empty frames from extracting (about 8). Is it bad for there to be empty comb at the top of a colony going into fall winter? I don't plan on feeding this colony, as they have pretty good stores already. Would it be better if the empty comb was on the bottom? Better if there wasn't empty comb at all? The smaller colony I plan to feed, maybe they'll use the comb? I figure I might watch the usage of the comb on the bigger colony, maybe there will be some kind of fall flow and I don't need to worry about this until Octoberish?..

Thanks..

·
Registered
955 Posts
Heat rises so the warmest part of the hive is the top box,especially if there is insulation on the top.
If there is no honey in the top box,the bees will starve.Had it happen.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
This week I will be putting a medium box of undrawn plastic foundation under my single deeps. Some colonies I did this a week ago and they are starting to draw it out slowly. They wont get to laying brood in it and I can pull it off in the spring before they move down into it. Good start for honey supers. Did some last year and happy with results. I would not do it with wax foundation as they might mine it for wax.

As Jack mentions above, whatever you put above the bees better be full of capped honey. If hoping for a maybe fall flow that does not come, it may leave the bees short of time to dry down late sugar syrup feed. I cant expect fall flow so I dont get tempted. Cost/Benefit analysis ~?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll move it to the bottom, only part I was unsure about is the 2 frames that do have nectar / honey in them, moving them to the bottom may not do them any good in winter, but maybe if I move it now they'll move it somewhere else if they want.. Or use it..

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Thanks, I'll move it to the bottom, only part I was unsure about is the 2 frames that do have nectar / honey in them, moving them to the bottom may not do them any good in winter, but maybe if I move it now they'll move it somewhere else if they want.. Or use it..
They will very likely move it up above the brood nest if not for raising fall brood. I would put the two frames with nectar in the center of lower box. Scratch the cappings on any capped cells will break their reluctance to using it.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts

they will move it or use it.

GG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts