Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 seasons still learning here. Simple question I think. I use an extractor and reuse comb. Seems I have a lot of comb not in use. This leaves it open to conditions of storage. I am interested in any and all topics in this category. When to just scrape down to plastic foundation. Methods of storage. What condition comb is suitable to reuse and so forth. Ok so maybe not so simple?? Or am I overthinking it?? As always I appreciate this forum. I have based a lot of decisions based on this site and the people on it over the years

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Do you have enough honey super for a bumper harvest? Brood are you rotating some old out for new? Can you use more hives? I am all is trying to build some new frame. But I am selling some nucs. Moving from med. super to shallows supers due to weight. Weeding out ancient frames from when I bought out a beekeeper. Still have a lot of med frames.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I store in their boxes. I have moth problems from Aug till freeze. So during that time they get moth balls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
after extraction, I immediately spray them with BT and leave them stacked outside until next year. Ill try to take minmal fully drawn frames for splits because i want to save those for 9 frame supers next year.

·
Registered
961 Posts
After extraction, I put wet frames back in supers and open feed them. Cardboard is put under the supers to catch the wax that gets tore up. Once they are cleaned, I spray with BT and put in plastic bins. The bins hold 25 frames so each bin can be a bit heavy so I stack the bins without the lids.
This year, I am going through all of my honey frames and scraping down any frame that has had brood raised in it. I read in Bee Culture that brood frames could affect the taste of the honey.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts