Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, This is my first post so please bear with me....

Just a little background.... I purchased 2 packages and hived them on April
8th (into 2 seperate hives). Things seem to be going well but it has turned cold (mild 40-60) in the evenings again and we have had some rain. I am feeding syrup and pollen patties.
I am using 8 frame mediums as my hive bodies. I have 2 right now. The top box is filling up nicely with capped brood, eggs and larvae, however the bottom is only being drawn out on 2 frames and I see no eggs. Some pollen stored in the bottom, but overall not a lot of activity down there. So yesterday I went in and took two frames from the edges of the top box and switched them with two frames in the bottom box.

Am I on track here? Or should I have left them alone? I just want to know if it looks like things are going at the rate they should be.

Thanks
Kelli

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I would have waited till they had 7 or 8 frames of brood and reversed the hive bodies. I rarely move frames unless they are frames of foundation that need to be drawn out (usually outside frames) then i move them in one or two spaces in the same hive body. Jack

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Kellie,

Usually people start with one box, when at least 80% of the frames are drawn out, The second box is added on top.

You shouldn't need the second box yet, as the population in you're hive will be dropping for the next week or so. Then young bees will start hatching.

I think you should move the box of foundation to the top.

You're bees will be fine with the weather you're having.

·
Registered
760 Posts
from what it sounds like is that you started with 2 deeps???

if thats the case - move all of your active frames to one box - placing them in this order

honey/sugar water
pollen
brood
pollen
honey/ sugar

and then put the top on

let them fill up this box - 8-9 frames THEN add the next box

if left as they are they will not fill out the boxes and will endup with chilled brood and a bad laying pattern

im not sure why but im seeing a LOT of new keepers start with two deeps on a package install ????

did someone print out a way to fail your first year at beekeeping????

anyhow start with one box - this keeps the bees warmer until they have the population up - which will be about 4-5 weeks from install - any sooner and you are asking for problems

hope this helps you out

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Im just a newbee myself but i would of set out 1 box and waiting until 80% of the box was drawn out. Then would of moved the outter frames that werent drawn out as good in a frame towards the middle and then added the second hive body! Sounds like the second box was added way too soon and the ladies packed their over night bags and beat feet to the second box as soon as it was readily available to them!

·
Registered
429 Posts
having started with 2 medium boxes, it sounds like you used the set and leave type instalation. you needed 2 boxes so you could put the top over them with the packing box inside the frames. if so, when the bees are out of it you should have removed the 2nd box until they had most of the bottom drawn. but it is ok, just switch your boxes, and place the one with all the foundation on top of the one with the brood. they will draw it, and then she wil move up and lay eggs in it too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as hard as I tried to make myself clear I did not do so great.........
I am using medium sized boxes that hold 8 frames. Yes I did read somewhere to start with 2 boxes deep and then when they had that all filled up I would add another box for honey......

So right now I would say that almost every frame in hive 1 has something in it..middle 2 have eggs, capped brood and larvae, next 2-3 have same but just a bit less and outter frames seem to have some brood and eggs syrup at the top. Hive 2 is about the same but is just not as plentiful. So the tops are filled up.

I just need to know to reverse them, switch out some frames, or leave it alone. I recently read (from anothe book) that the girls will not go down to the bottom because they like to build up.
Sorry to be so difficult on my first post. Guess I should have gotten on here frist and asked which book to follow:rolleyes: there is a ton of conflicting info out there!

Thanks again
Kelli

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You take the empty (frames without brood/honey) box and put it on top of the one with all of the brood/honey. Now the most of the bees, brood, honey are in the bottom box and the top box has frames ready to draw comb. That is reversing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
MidwifeBee

Don't fret. Bees are resilient and nature blessed them with adaptation.

One keeper's sacred procedure is another's disaster. Many hard and fast rules comes from fear of changing what worked rather than understanding and many conclusions come from experiments that didn't control enough influences. Successful techniques vary greatly across the continent and within your region. If you stick with bees, you will find more factors out of your control than in.

I really pleased you started with two hives, a not so standard approach and made what you perceive as a possible mistake. This will give you a jump start on learning.

This year I'm only going to venture different ideas with some of my five hives instead of all of them. Last year's harvest was miserable, but since I handled all hives the same, I don't know if I'm responsible it or not.

Bees prosper without concern for our goals or knowledge of our methods. Experience the challenge on their terms and enjoy the fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts