Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Farmer called me to come get bees in a tree he cut down. When he split the log ,the bees got nasty and it was only 10 degrees out. i got stung 3 times lol. My question is , they had nothing left of stores, maybe 2lbs, left for about 5 lbs of bees. What can i feed them in this cold that they will eat? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
unless you have a hive with good stores to add them to, RIGHT NOW, they are gonners. Sorry but it's kinda cold out.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
you could try the MCM and see if they will take it. They just might,

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You split the log and moved them to a hive in the middle of winter? Bee gums are best kept intact until spring... You could try moving them into a dark basement. The warmer temps inside will reduce the amount of feed they need for the winter.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
It decreases... In order to stay warm they must increase metabolism to generate heat in the cluster... that requires energy...namely sucrose.

They need to be in a dark room to keep them from wanting to fly which would also increase energy demands. What I do is put fly tubes from the hive to a window; that way if they want to leave they feel the cold and change their minds.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sealum up in a hive indoors and feed them. When it's warm unough out side put them out and let them fly. Put back inside when it's cold. I've had three cutouts this winter. This is what I'm doing. Seems to work for me. Bees are doing great. Is it work? Yea, but it's worth it, 3 more hives to start spring with.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Do you have drawn comb to put them on? Any honey frames left from last season? Those who said this is likely a lost effort are pretty much on mark but we've all been here and tried this kind of crazy thing at some point.

You have a warm spell coming, shake them on to drawn comb on the 1st 40 degree day, give them a frame or two of honey if you have it and give them warm (daily) feed in a quart jar directly above the cluster over the an inner cover hole. 2-1 sugar syrup. Fondant will help as well.

Not likely they'll get through but I've seen stranger things and sounds like a late swarm that would not have made it in the gum with what little stores they had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts