Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and did an inspection on my new package of Italians that I received a month ago they've done so well that I I added another brood box a couple weeks ago for them to start drawing foundation, queen was laying good a couple weeks ago when I had last checked. So tonight I open up the hive to check and see how things are going only to find capped brood, 2 supercedure cells and two emergency queen cells. The cells are all capped except for one that they're working on finishing. Now what should I expect?. Will they keep all the new queens that hatch or will they discard all other queens? Will they swarm? And also I forgot to add that there is plenty of room in the boxes that they shouldn't be swarming. And also the old queen is no where to be found. New beek= stressed. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have the same thing going on in one of my hives and I'd say they will requeen the rest of the cells will get tore down. Being a package I don't know if it's any different but if you have brood and a lot of bees you should be fine till a queen hatches and breeds. Do you have other hives?
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you have 3 other hives your good to go.
I'd wait 3 weeks and see if you see eggs and go from there. With 3 hives you have options but I bet you'll have a laying queen in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could of never imagined that I killed her I'm always so careful, but it could've happened Anythings possible. It's just terrible.

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
What you do not mention, and the critical thing, is if there are any eggs or unsealed larvae in the hive.

If not, then yes, likely you killed the queen last visit. Let nature take it's course. Working on the time frame of your last visit as the time they started new cells, allow up to 35 days for the new queen to be mated and laying. If she is not at that time give them a frame of eggs from a different hive to see if they start new queen cells. If they do it confirms the new virgin queen did not work out, best option at that time would be kill the new queen cells & unite the hive with one of the others.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You could put cells in each box if they are on separate frames with and excluder between them. Give them an upper entrance and you have two chances for a mated queen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess my biggest thing is what's going to happen with the other 3 out if the 4 queen cells once they all emerge from the cells.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing here. I installed 2 hives a month ago. One hive is doing well, plenty of eggs, larva, capped brood. The second hive on the other hand...was doing well until last week when I noticed a couple drone cells and what looked like a queen cell starting to emerge. I let it ride and checked it again yesterday. Now I see probably a couple dozen drone cells and close to 5 or 6 queen cells. I too am a new beek and a little nervous, but my local club members reassure me that this sometimes happens with new packages. The queen may not have been mated properly, or she isn't well, or who knows...either way the workers are superseding her. I could be wrong but I think the queens emerge and battle it out...survival of the fittest? Hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong...

Good luck to us both!

2014-05-09 16.02.42.jpg

2014-05-09 16.03.18.jpg

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
The first queen that emerges will kill the other ones while they're still in the cell.
Unless the rest of the ladies prevent her from doing so. If the first one out doesn't work out they may have another chance.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
One set of queen cells is in the bottom brood chamber and the other set is in the other brood chamber above.
With a queen excluder between them you have a very good chance of ending up with 2 queens. Without the excluder only one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts