Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to move 4 hives immediately. The old building they sit behind has lost it's roof in a storm and the rear wall is in danger of falling on the hives. It's weaving badly. I need the best options quickly.

ETA...The bees are flying now and there are orientation flights happening right now.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Throw a ratchet strap around each of the hives and tape or screen off the opening. If you are moving them far, set out a box or two with comb to try and collect the foragers late in the evening. If staying in the same yard, they will figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to stabilize the failing wall temporarily. We have rain coming soon. I'm hoping to recover most foragers and try to make the moves in the rain. Any tricks to getting full size hives off the concrete blocks they are sitting on? Hives are double deeps with two supers.

ETA...I'm only moving them about 15 feet straight out from their existing location for now. That will get them out of danger of the wall when it falls. We have very high winds forecast for tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would move 3 of them to their new home right now and keep the 3rd as close to the original location as possible, You will know the 3 are saved and any remaining foragers will return to the 1 that remains close to the original spot. I don't know your situation but it may be easier to move the 3 and come back than trying to move all 4.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a two wheel dolly from HF to move my hives. I have some of mine on blocks too. I ratchet strap them together. I tilt the box off the edge of the blocks onto the dolly and away I go. You can tilt the box up onto the block at the new location and slide it into place. Works for me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All hives moved out of danger. Wasn't as bad getting them off the blocks as I thought it would be. Had a light rain going on and while I'm sure to probably lose some foragers, it beats having all the hives devastated. Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts