Due to the all of the circumstances, My vote is to ride the rollercoaster out and wait. Interesting move on the sugar.
Fantastic! Thanks for the photos and congrats on the successful cutout.Here's an update on the walnut log bees. I set 10 frames of honey outside the log in a hive box around May 1st. They used it as a resource and moved/ate it all in about a week. I hoped this would help get them through until the weather warmed. We had our first hot weekend on May 24 which is when I decided to do the cutout.
I took a few pictures during the process....when my hands weren't too sticky to touch the camera. I think the link to the pics is below if things worked.