Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite just having another round of torrential downpours and high winds here in Alabama, the sound coming from the elm trees this afternoon is unmistakable. I was led to the tree by my ears. The elm trees are flowering. The bees are taking pale yellow pollen back to the hives. The double deep hive has a population of drones already. It's fun to see what they find for a source of nectar and pollen during the year.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I'll have to check the elm trees here in west AL. We've had a few maples blooming and the alders appear to be blooming too, but haven't seen any bees on the elms. I need to walk around and look at a few to see if there are bees working them. I've seen pale yellow pollen coming but thought it was from dandalions or camelias.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Season will start before we know it! My hives busy during the crazy record breaking heat. No idea what they were on, multiple pollen sources common in.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Same here. Elms began pushing out a few days ago. Bees were covering them up yesterday. I just hope it's not too early. It's only first of Feb. still have crazy March.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Same down here in the Gulf of Mississippi. Maples popped open. Glad I put some protein bricks on my hives a month ago. Going to have to split my hives in early March this year.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Got some really confused goldenrod blooming. 12 inches tall and blooming. In February??? strange weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts