Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considered getting an uncapping knife from Dadant the last few years to use during honey extracting time.
Last night, as I was arranging some drawn frames in a hive body(in my garage, not on the hive yet), I noticed that some of the comb was drawn out so far that there wasn't much bee space left for them to fit between. Now I am considering buying the knife again to also use to cut back the comb slightly to create a bit more bee space between the frames of comb in the hive bodies. What are the pros and cons of using an electric uncapping knife, all around????
Also when the knife is used, do "most" run it along the side of the top and bottom bars to keep an even cut? I thought so, it just seems like that's cutting a lot of excess comb off and not sure if the bees build off of it again. Thanks, juzzer

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
Bees cannot draw comb out so far that there is no beespace. They would not be able to. As far as an electric knife, that's what I have and it works ok. But I've been looking at the plane lately as my wrist is killing me by the middle of harvesting and hurts for some weeks after... the force is more straight working the uncapping plane...

·
Registered
172 Posts
1) Heat gun
2) Electric filet knife

Both are cheaper than an electric uncapping knife, and you probably have one or both already. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I have seen quite a few frames in brood boxes drawn far out with honey into space of the next frame that was poorly filled. Right now that is a real potential bee roller. In the ideal world with uniform type and stage of closely spaced frames, it might not happen too often. I want the bees to clear out the winter honey to make room for brood so I savagely snaggle the high spots with the hive tool and press it flat so it is about flush with the top bar width. The bees will shave it nicely down to brood comb thickness so you dont have to be fancy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bees cannot draw comb out so far that there is no bee space.
Duh.....(to me) it took me a few reads of that line to realize your thinking...yeah no bee space??How would they have gotten in there in the first place to cap it then. Sometimes I'm a bit slow!!
The reason that it happened is that I moved frames of drawn around to different areas... therefore, limiting bee space. And now I would like to cut it back a bit to make shifting of frames a bit easier and not have to worry about rolling any bees.
So, are electric knives a waste of money? It seems quick, clean and efficient. The plane tool is also an option I guess, it just seems like that might damage the comb more and not make a clean"cut" to the wax.

F6- you must know me...I do have both of them, creepy you knew that. I bought the heat gun just for uncapping but it melted down the comb too much. The electric fillet knife worked slick but as soon as the blades got dull or even slightly bent it seemed like it ripped the wax more than cut it.
Thanks juzzer

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
>Duh.....(to me) it took me a few reads of that line to realize your thinking...yeah no bee space??How would they have gotten in there in the first place to cap it then. Sometimes I'm a bit slow!!

Right.

>The reason that it happened is that I moved frames of drawn around to different areas... therefore, limiting bee space. And now I would like to cut it back a bit to make shifting of frames a bit easier and not have to worry about rolling any bees.

Yes, you can create that situation...

>So, are electric knives a waste of money? It seems quick, clean and efficient. The plane tool is also an option I guess, it just seems like that might damage the comb more and not make a clean"cut" to the wax.

No. I've used mine for years. It's pretty useful. I just think the plane would be easier on my wrist. A sharp bread knife will do in the beeyeard though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts