Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install an electric fence for an arena. My problem is that the arena floor is ground rubber mixed with sand. I am using 1 inch polytape and a 2 mile solar energizer on a 60 x 90 arena. I was told by Tractor Supply Company to connect one end of the tape to the positive terminal and the other end to the ground terminal of the energizer and that would work. It didn't. Any suggestions to get it to work?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you were running only one wire, connect the positive to the wire and the negative to a ground rod. Shock happens when feet are touching ground and the positive/hot wire is touched.

As you have the rubber mixed with sand, you may have to run two wires/tapes around the perimeter. Connect the positive to one tape and the negative to the other tape. Shock will occur when an animal contacts both tapes at same time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you put your ground rod in put a 5 gallon bucket of water with one tiny hole using the smallest drill bit you have offset on the bottom of the bucket closest to the ground rod and keep the water topped.
zappo. Works great

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Make multiple runs of wire and connect alternate wires to the ground terminal of the energizer and other wires to the other terminal of the energiser. Anything trying to get through the fence would contact two wires and be subject to shock. Touching either one of the wires separately would not result in a shock if the floor was the insulated rubber/sand you describe.

mgoldens post just came in; If the floor has some conductivity you could drive ground rod and bond it to the wires that are connected to the designated ground terminal of the energizer. My son uses alternating runs of barbed wire bonded to ground between hot wires connected to the other terminal of the fencer. If the floor of the arena is functionally non conducting the alternate wires of opposite polarity is the only solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were running only one wire, connect the positive to the wire and the negative to a ground rod. Shock happens when feet are touching ground and the positive/hot wire is touched.

As you have the rubber mixed with sand, you may have to run two wires/tapes around the perimeter. Connect the positive to one tape and the negative to the other tape. Shock will occur when an animal contacts both tapes at same time.
Thank you. I will try that. Right now I haver only 1 wire running but it doubles back to the energizer and the wires are separated by at least 2 feet. I will try to run them closer together and see if that works.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hook your ground wire to some chicken wire laid on the surface ground. When whatever steps on the chicken wire they complete the circuit and get a good jolt.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I am trying to install an electric fence for an arena. My problem is that the arena floor is ground rubber mixed with sand. I am using 1 inch polytape and a 2 mile solar energizer on a 60 x 90 arena. I was told by Tractor Supply Company to connect one end of the tape to the positive terminal and the other end to the ground terminal of the energizer and that would work. It didn't. Any suggestions to get it to work?
I don't know if I'm understanding you for sure. but.... ...connect one wire to the positive terminal of the energizer and a different (separate) wire from the negative terminal of the energizer to the ground rod. When the "hot" wire & the ground wire are touched at the same time, they should get your attention (SHOCK).

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think your gonna find once your all done that 2mile charger isnt enough. Especially if its solar, 1 cloudy day & you gots no zap.
But regardless still gotta run the wire, can always swap out the fencer with a bigger one later if need be

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hook your ground wire to some chicken wire laid on the surface ground. When whatever steps on the chicken wire they complete the circuit and get a good jolt.
This is for a horse arena. I dont think that would work.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
1,167 Posts
Sounds like you are running just one wire
with one end tied to the positive terminal of the charger
and the other end of the wire tied to the negative terminal of the charger.

If this is the case it is shorted out and will not work.

These need to be two separate wires, what ever touches the neg AND the pos wire will get shocked.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Yes! G3farms has it nailed!(y)It can be more than two wires but they must be separated. The one (or ones) hooked to one terminal from the other (or others) hooked to the other terminal. In this configuration neither need to be bonded to or depend on a ground rod since the floor is not a conductor.

There is a screen sort of fence arrangement available, (have not personally laid eyes on it) that has a pair of grids incorporated whose wires are insulated from each other but any point of touching it will put the victim across the voltage potential between the two grids. It is not dependent on or need a grounding system.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Make multiple runs of wire and connect alternate wires to the ground terminal of the energizer and other wires to the other terminal of the energiser. Anything trying to get through the fence would contact two wires and be subject to shock. Touching either one of the wires separately would not result in a shock if the floor was the insulated rubber/sand you describe.
This sound like your best solution. The electricity has to go somewhere to be effective, usually this is into the ground through what ever is touching the hot wire. However since your floor of your arena is essentially an insulator it will not, thus you will have to create an artificial "ground".

We have a similar problem here during the summer, the ground dries out so much that it become highly insulative. My solution is to run my ground to the metal wire on the fence, so even if the mules don't get a shock if they touch the hot wire, they will when they touch the hot wire and the metal wire of the fencing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts