Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn’t sure to post here or in the pest/disease section, so here goes: Has anyone heard, or incorporated, a pvc elbow facing down as an entrances? These are placed at the upper portion of the hive box. A solid foundation board is utilized instead of a normal bottom board. I have heard that small hive beetles cannot hover, therefore they are less able or unable to gain access into the hive. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, and happy Memorial Day to you all! God bless the U.S.A.!,,

JB

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have read somewhere that an elbow fitting makes it more difficult for hornets etc., to duck into a hive. Much less attractive than the common 16" wide entrance slot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone heard, or incorporated, a pvc elbow facing down as an entrances? These are placed at the upper portion of the hive box. A solid foundation board is utilized instead of a normal bottom board. I have heard that small hive beetles cannot hover, therefore they are less able or unable to gain access into the hive. Any info would be appreciated.
That's what this guy on YouTube says (starting at 13:07): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QE2FhIVNTI

And you know if some guy says it on YouTube it must be true.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess you could always “church” it up to make it more appealing to beeks, but i’m almost positive the bees may not care. Ha, ha! Thanks for the response, Crofter.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
Same way they do when you use a robbing screen. They pick them up, carry them outside, and fly away with them. If I were to use any sort of PVC fittings in a hive, I would sand the surfaces the bees need to walk on as the plastic is very slick.

BTW, welcome to Beesource. You picked an interesting thread to make your first post. Head on over to the welcome forum and introduce yourself. Try to include your location as well. MO is a big state.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts