Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so first time beekeeper. Filled my TBH with a package in early April.

Like many people, the first experience with bearding is a little strange!

Days are getting hot here in central NC - highs in the low 90s. For a few days I've been seeing them beard in the evenings. Today, though, they're out there bearding at 2pm. I looked in the window and they've got 19 bars filled out (out of 24) and are covering all the comb. There are also bees all over the walls and floor, as well as festooning on empty bars - probably making more comb I guess.

I've been feeding 1:1 syrup inside the hive since hiving them, but had to move the feeder out as the comb got close to it. I sat it outside the hive about 20 feet away, but haven't seen any bees at it at all. Lots of bees flying in and out of the hive, though.

As far as entrances go, I've got 3 1" holes on the end. But, the hive is in shade or partial shade most of the day. About 2 or 3 pm is when it gets some sun.

So, do I need to worry about bearding during the day? Is it just because there are so many bees and not enough comb right now for everyone to get a seat? I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious. I prefer to trust them and let them do their thing, but with no experience, would like to know what's coming.

-josh

IMG_20140603_164828.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
If the photo is representative of the 'bearding' that you are concerned about, the photo is just a few bees hanging out on the front of the hive. :)

When I see bearding, there are bees stacked on top of one another, meaning the outer layers of bees are clinging to other bees, not the hive surface.

With 19 of 24 bars filled, I would quit offering feed.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Semi-bearding I would say, nothing to worry about. If they're running out of space I would look to see at night a large group of bees outside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, great info - thanks all. I figured I was over-questioning.

Estraya, yep, built it with my dad. It's based on the biobees plans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts