Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've not used this for 'possum but I have used it when I discovered I had skunks raiding my hives at night.

Crush 3 aspirin tablets, break one egg and place it in a saucer, stir the egg with a fork until the white and yellow are well blended. Add the aspirin to the stirred egg and stir until the aspirin is well blended. Place the saucer close to the hive entrance in the evening(I placed them just beside the front).

If the egg is gone the next morning, repeat the procedure the following evening. It only took two nights and saucers at three hives to solve my skunk problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought the same thing, but I was just trying to see if this was a real magic cure.
I bet when they wake up, they will return for some more of those scrambled eggs. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it souds like mixing it in a bowl would be alot easier than trying to mix the egg in the shell.

is there any real advantage to using the shell instead of a bowl?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
At least on skunks (who love eggs) and cats (who seem ambivalent to eggs) it appears to be lethal. I don't know for sure if it's salicylate poisoning or if it thins their blood too much and they bleed out. It doesn’t seem to hurt dogs any. It seems to work on opossums, but I can’t guarantee that.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think it's the "scale" of the aspirin. We used the same sort of method occasionally when I was a kid and raised pigeons. Every once in a while, we'd have a pigeon that would need to be "put down" (injured too badly to survive, serious illness that could infect others, etc.). The easiest way we found was to simply push an aspirin down the throat of the pigeon. Like Michael said so well, they "sleep" forever.

Really, it's an overdose. Three aspirin might not hurt a large dog, but they might kill a lap dog. People can overdose on aspirin and die, too; it just takes a lot more than three at a time for it to be lethal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Live and learn. I knew aspirin was a blood thinner and some people cannot tolerate it, but had no idea it could be applied like this. I have had no problems with opossums or skunks but it is a good remedy to know.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Many animals are very slow to metabolize aspirin. Cats are especially prone to aspirin toxicity (as are many birds). I geuss that opossums must fall into this category as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The redtails never bothered mine either, but a slightly smaller yet stockier hawk we call a chicken hawk. Never seen this hawk unless he was after my chickens(this type caught several of my chickens). The redtails I would see alot perched high upin a Hickory tree hunting or soaring over pasture.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The red-tail gets the blame (it is possible unfairly). I have seen lots of them around and suddenly a bird of prey has gotten 5 of my chickens.
I have been on travel so did not wittness the deed. However, I did install netting over most of the lot to prevent dive bombers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Feeding the possums Aspirin is designed to kill them. They will bleed internally and die. Ratpoison mixed in with somethig would be quicker and more lethal and equally disgusting.

If you have problems with animals, trap them in a cage and relocate them. Shoot them, club them to death, but please dont feed them poison.

It also interferes with the food chain big time.

Howd you like it if I sprayed your hive with flyspray?

[ February 19, 2006, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: **** ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The nice thing about the asprin is it doesnt' really mess with the food chain. It's the right strength to do the job without killing things that will eat the deceased. Rat poison, on the other hand, could set off a chain reaction.

I'd rather shoot them, but waiting all night to GET a shot and then trying to get a CLEAR shot (one that does not endanger anyone or anything else) is often not so simple.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The skunk on this contenent, has few natural predators. The road is probably the biggest killer of skunks. They still need to be controled to some extent. The DNR list's them as a nusance animal, with no limits on killing them. I don't mind doing my share of control when they start eating my bees. Asprin sure seems like the best way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts