Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Wednesday my bee club met for the first time since February. During the spring/summer we meet at Walters home. He's been keeping bees for 25 years so I'm glad to get new information from him. 2 of the colonies at his home yard had European Foul Brood which I had never seen before. The larvae were not pearly white they were yellow/brown. The brood pattern was very spotty as well. These were in 2 deeps and he said they were getting smaller and smaller. He treated them with a tetramiacin product that was mixed with dry sugar. He said he didn't expect them to make it through the winter but time would tell.

I've been keeping bees since 2012 and have seen lots of different things. This is the first time I've seen EFB and since I keep my yards down to 3 colonies hopefully I'll never see this but if it does I'll know what it looks like. He keeps his yards near 10 colonies so there's more drift in his yards. This is the reason that I always suggest to new beekeepers that they join a club as soon as possible even if they are in rural communities.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
It seems relatively easy with OxyTet. to halt the obvious problem with the open larvae. Since it can remain active in stored bee bread and honey for extended periods reoccurance very often happens when fresh pollen and nectar becomes scare and the nurse bees dig down into older reserves. Do some search into the problems Squarepeg has had with reoccurance. Also Enjambres. I seem to have it behind me but I destroyed all the comb and frames of colonies that were infected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts