Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 hives second full year.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to treat with OTC 3X over 15 days and then perform a shook swarm into new boxes onto new foundations on day 16/17. Would there be a better remedy and/or regimen for this procedure. Open to discuss/ ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
OTC is the correct treatment for EFB.

Is this a single colony, could you provide us more details?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its spread through 5 of 7 adjacent hives. Starting with 1 this spring that I requeened to no avail. Did a shook swarm on this one hive. That still ddint resolve the EFB. Bee inspector came again and we did another field test / which was positive. I will add this wasnt classic looking/ smelling EFB. She said she had never experienced a case as severe with no smell. We then contacted a vet to come to confirm and meet the VFD requirements. Thay also took 1 frame to the ndsu lab. I fed these colonies all spring until the flow and now have resumed.

I have decided to requeen 4 of the hive with new hygenic queens. Use OTC then rehive after that onto new equipment. Then I will destroy and/or send my old equipment to ncsu to fumigate or irradiate.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
sounds like one of the "new" EFB varents, I had a run in with one, bad stuff... shook swarm, requeens faild, spread to the whole yard fast

OTC cleaned things up... a few out breaks year 2, and only 3 hives needed treatment in year 3. I kept my comb

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yessir they seem to be several virulent strains that arent as cookie cutter as most say ie #requeen or the flow will take care of it. And it's not real easy to get a vet who knows apis to do a house call. But I have a very helpful and nice inspector. And she is a little wiser to the different strains and typing involved in the EFB bacteria. She was in the mindset that I had PMS but mute counts were nearly zilch. I shared the EFB typing (UK) video found here with her and the vet.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Re-queening not take care of a bad infection because there's so much scale all over the comb that it's impossible.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
To your original question, no I would not do a shook swarm.

Shook swarms work in Europe where they have a better protocol for EFB in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts