Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the connection? A friend of mine who has bees in blueberries says he is seeing EFB in some of his hives and that being in the blueberries has something to do w/ it. What and why? Does it have something to do w/ working the same flowers as bumblebees?

·
Registered
338 Posts
What's the connection? A friend of mine who has bees in blueberries says he is seeing EFB in some of his hives and that being in the blueberries has something to do w/ it. What and why? Does it have something to do w/ working the same flowers as bumblebees?

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19800211046.html;jsessionid=B1324558F15A2D887B1F5D4FF627F406

I don't know about the bumbles, but this study has a compelling argument to keeping them away from blueberries.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The study stated that Ebb occurred before moving to blueberries in March. I read that honeybees do better with a variety of different pollen with protein percentage of at least 20 percent. I believe blueberries pollen is around 14 percent. So if blueberry pollen is the only pollen source the brood would be somewhat malnourished. Which would leave the door open to all kinds of problems. I have 12 blueberry bushes and have not seen any honeybees on them. Which tells me they found a better more nutritious source. That's the way I see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts