Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a few pictures of my 2 new hives that I treated with the Eco wood treatment, they look good, I guess only time will tell how well it works. Checked on my Italian hive today and seen lots of activity with the temps getting into the mid 40's here in western Pa. photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hives look great...
I dipped some boxes I made a few weeks ago in ECO...Curious to see how they do. I sure how they perform well, I don't really mind painting, but dipping in ECO was Soooooo Much easier. It would be nice it it turns out to be a viable substitute for painting!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Melanie, I put them together first then use an outer cover as a tray for dipping the bodies in. It works great and takes very little time to get 50 hive bodies done. I only dip them deep enough to do the outside of the hive bodies but the eco wood is not supposed to hurt the bees if you dip them inside and out. I just prefer not to put anything on the inside of my hives.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just finished my two new hives with ECO. The wood was cypress and it looks great! I don't know if it actually protects the wood like they say, but I think it should still last quite a while

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
From what I gather, ECO probably does a decent job of protecting the wood from fungal growth. My concern is that it does absolutely nothing to protect from water movement in and out of the wood, which leads to severe checking and splitting along with warping, and you will end up with woodenware waterproof on one side where the bees propolise it up and water permiable on the outside. There is no way pine will survive that without severe warping and cracking, so you will end up with split and warped boxes that have not rotted. Still not usable, just not rotten.

I'll see how other people do with the stuff, but plan to keep painting for the foreseeable future.

Peter

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was considering putting some boiled linseed oil on them... I have a hive that has nothing protecting it other than the roof. It has been ok so far. I really like the natural look, and if I have to replace the boxes a little sooner, so be it. (If I had more than 5 hives, I am sure I would have a different opinion.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dipped them before I put them together, let them soak for about 3 min on each part holding it under the solution, then air dried it and soaked each end again for 20 min. I think i picked up some color from my water being high in Iron.
How do you dip them? Before they are assembled?

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Have used Eco Wood......it's junk. Boxes split and warp around 3rd year. Ended up painting them..........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anybody noticed any adverse effects on the bees? I am considering trying this for one of my garden hives this year because I like the natural look of it... are there better alternatives?

·
Super Moderator
11,167 Posts
While I understand the desire for an "attractive" finish, the problem with clear and semi-clear finishes is that due to their clear nature, they do not block UV rays. The UV light damages the wood cells, and contributes to decay. If you want a clear finish, the tradeoff is shortened wood life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I have just before two days bought three LR bee hives. I wish to paint them. I have found product that is called Nano4Life. They said that it is based on Silicon dioxide and wather. I have asked in bee hive shop is it safe for bee´s, and they said to me that it is safe forthem.

Did someone encountered with this product?

I have found on youtube this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWQYYY3tTs

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts