Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i was wondering what happens if i eat comb-honey and some dead bees in the mix? does the venom of the dead bee stay active¿ ... how long¿ is it like getting stung inside the mouth while chewing on the comb-honey/dead-bee. cheers, peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
A similar question. Someone was making apple butter and some bees got into the mix. Other than picking them out, would venom or other things get from the bees into the apple butter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,193 Posts
I am a glutton and eat fast but even my gluttony does not extend to not noticing dead bees in my comb honey sections. Just doesn't happen. Never had bees die in my apple butter either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
In olden times (not sure what century), they ground up dead bees to extract the venom, so some of the properties of the venom are still active. However, I have read that the digestive enzymes in our mouth and stomach instantly neutralize the bee venom, so it's not like you will have a reaction by just eating something with some ground up bees. Unless the stinger actually pokes your cheek, and then someone should be more careful about the "food" they are putting in their mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
In most cases venom is only harmful if injected into the blood stream. The acid in our digestive track breaks down and the organic compounds and they are become harmless.

The rule on venomous creatures is:
If it bites you, bad.
If you bite it, good.

Poisonous creatures are harmful to eat and usually brightly colored (like the Monarch butterfly). The idea is predators to prevent predators from eating them. The bright colors act like a warning sign.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Some peoples take a live bee, pop off its head (poor thing) and suck out the sweetness from the rest. So I doubt you need worry.
My dog eats honeybees. They are the only insect she eats, so they must taste good. I get bees around my yard and garage because of my equipment. Once in awhile I know she's stung after she eats them, but most of the time she just grabs them out of the air and that's it. I keep telling her "don't eat the bees" but she pays no attention to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
a person was visiting me who said she was allergic to bees, i had some comb honey i had taken out of a feeder sitting on the counter. there were a couple smashed bees underneath it and she somehow took a stinger straight to the tongue. she nearly had a panic attack, she swelled up but was alright after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,527 Posts
I brushed thousands of dead bees out of the bottom of a dead out with my hand. I took hundreds of pinprick stings that were very mild. It wasn't fun.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top