Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a pretty typical setup, ie. SBB, two deeps, then supers, inner cover and metal telecoping to cover.

I want to close up my bottom exit and open up the top. I'm doing this to entice the bees to go up thru the queen excluder.

What's an easy way to create a top exit? I was thinking of just putting in a 1" splint on top of the top cover or somthing like that, but then that would create a bee space issue above the top cover.

Looking for suggestions.

tks

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If you mean propping up your tele cover by putting a spacer on your inner cover...then yes, that will work as long as you push the top all the way forward, just keep in mind that you will trap any drones that are below the excluder.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Top Entrance:
I installed three 3/8" bee way spaces cleat onto a piece of 16 1/4" X 21 1/2" plywood and the bees have not made any comb between the underside of the top cover and my Sundance 11 pollen traps.
It can be done and it's cost effective.
But, The bees are in ventura County, southern California
Ernie

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
3/4" wide, 5/16 thick boards on three sides of your queen excluder.
That is, a 5/16 spacer rim around the edges of the excluder, on three sides, gives an opening on the front edge of the excluder, above the excluder. Bees enter, go down thru excluder to give pollen and nectar to brood, go in over the excluder to store honey. Works pretty good. Don't close off your bottom entrance all the way, put a reducer in it with the smallest opening for them below. Drones can then exit and brood nest needed forage can still happen below, but it's greatly reduced so they'll start using the upper entrance

·
Registered
383 Posts
just move a frame of brood above the excluder. make shure the queen is not on the frame of brood you move. it works for me. the bees move up to keep the care for the brood and it seem to make them comfortable with the excluder and i dont have anymore problems. i cut a notch in the rim of my inner cover and i can slide the telascoping cover back to close it or foward to open it. works fine like this http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10-Frame-Goble-Inner-Cover/productinfo/671/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, New Beek here, actually still waiting for my two Nucs, which will arrive on the 20th. After spending weeks reading on Michael Bush's site I decided to go with top entrances. However I had already received my Hives that both included telescoping top covers. Not wanting to waste them (one was a nice garden hive top with copper sheeting). I broke out my skill saw and trimmed telescoping lip off of one side so it was level with the top inner board. I then glued and nailed two cedar shims at that end to give the bees an accessible entrance. Hopefully this entrance will also give me a lever point to get the top off, also hopefully this idea won't turn out to be a propolis nightmare for me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you go to Michael Bushes web site he has a very easy to build lid that is basically just a piece of plywood with 2 door shims stapled to it and he recomends drilling a 3/8 hole at the bottom for the drones to go through.I had another post on here about the pros and cons of the top entrance and I ended up making about 20 of them to use myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The easiest upper entrance is a hole drilled in the hive body or super. All my hives are in mediums, and all have a 1 1/8th hole drilled below the hand hold. The bottom holes are plugged with beer bottle caps, and the bottom entrance on the sbb is closed with a strip of wood.
Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was trying something very similar to B. Haning. I cut a 1.25in lip about a .25 inches into the front and then finish it all the way through with a 1 in hole. I cut the top off of one those small plastic pepsi bottles (12 oz). I then cut diagonal slices in the bottom of the plastic top. I push it into the hole so that when I force it in (squeezing the diagonal cuts together), the bottom is able to flare out and hold tight and the lip at the base of the lid of the bottle top rests on the bottom of the 1.25 in hole. You can screw lids on and off at will.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
we leave the bottom entrance open and drill a 3/4 inch hole in the deep honey super above the excluder. If ya ever need to close it staple a 1 square piece of #8 hardware cloth over the hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts