Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to beeking
question about honey flow how long does it usually last in eastern ontario, weather has been hot and things where starting to dry up a little, have had to put water out for the bees as the stream has dried up!

2 nucs started this spring, one of them drew out and filled a honey super between july 1 and 14!!!(this hive has 2 deep boxes of brood ) Gave them a second super on the 14, is it likely that they will be able to draw out wax and fill this one as quickly or not, when do things start to slow down? I plan to check 10 days after putting on the second... my problem is I only bought 2 honey supers per hive and will need to borrow and extractor and or buy another super if they fill up the second one!!! ( I didnt think we would get any honey being new nucs and only wax foundation!)
thanks for looking:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't help much with conditions and trends in Eastern Ontario, but will comment on how things have been in South-western Ontario.

An unusual year so far. Record amounts of rain and plenty of heat. Noticed this morning that goldenrod is just starting to bloom--a couple of weeks earlier than usual. This will carry the bees along nicely for many weeks to come. I suspect the nectar flow will abruptly end mid-August if conditions continue they way they have.

I have one colony, a swarm captured last year (two deep brood chambers) that has already filled four deep supers. I will more than likely have to put on a fifth this afternoon.

Good luck with your venture!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
added 3rd super to nuc started may 5... very excitied took 14 days to draw and fill the first, 10 days to draw and fill the second.... looks like have to buy more supers!

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is an awesome year for honey production in my area (Orleans/Cumberland). Some of my hives have 4 supers on them and will be getting a 5th before summer is out. The flow just goes on and on. And now GR and loose strife is up. And the ever present clovers...Great stuff!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts