Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three hives about 500 feet away from the central outside entertainment area. I do have a few extra bees around in the areas where the kids play but basically any kid gets stung and it"s gonna be my fault. Can I just get up early and block the hive exit/entrance for the day?

What is likely to be the consequence?

Curt

No points off for spelling?

·
Banned
840 Posts
What are the temps like there?

If you block them in for the day they will need ventilation. Consider having the shortest block time possible. once all is clear, let them girls out.

wouldn't hurt to make sure there is enough stores as well.

Big Bear

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes, you can keep them locked up for the day (leaving ventilation as Bear pointed out), but at 500 feet away, I wouldn't worry about it. How old are the grandkids? I'd consider getting some extra veils, some old white shirts at the resale shop and taking the kids out to see the bees!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I'm with Indy. We have one hive in the back yard, maybe 50-60 ft. from our yard pond where everyone gathers at our place. It's a fun time watching a few bees take water along the rocky edge and fly around in the flower garden that is next to the deck around the pond. The bees are too busy to sting any body at our home. If you want to be really certain and easy your grandkid's mothers... place screens over the entrances for the one day for ventilation. Some scrap window screen simply stapled over the entrance will do for a day if you don't have any other ventilation cover methods. The little kids will be fine; at our home, it's our grand kids' mother who freaks out about a bee hive being on our property.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All three of my hives have screened bottom boards so I think ventilation should be OK.

Sure enough the grand kids, 7 of them, at 6mo up to 12yrs., I think will be fine but it is one of the mothers that is freaked out. She thinks her precious little baby boy (12) has an allergy but he doesn't. He responds to a sting just like I do. He's a great kid but his mother is a bit tight......

I think I'll block them in for the day and see what happens.

Thanks for the help
Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.