Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one with royal jelly has what looks like a ~2-4 day old larva in it. The other cups were empty and I didn't notice any supercedure/queen cells in the middle of the frame/ cells.

Wondering maybe that is a just-in-case/ just for kicks cell? cells.jpg

Overwintered hive

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What breed of bees do you have? It is definitely a queen cell, so you may have a swarm in a few days if you do not do anything (split) soon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carnis

what throws me off is that I don't see other cells. When I found that one I took some more time and was looking around the hive but I didn't see anything

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Carnis

what throws me off is that I don't see other cells. When I found that one I took some more time and was looking around the hive but I didn't see anything
if that cell has a larvae in then its split time or they will likely swarm.
Find the queen and a frame of brood she is on and put her in a new hive body with foundation back in the same location the existing hive is now. Then move the remainder of the hive with the queen cell a few feet away ( or where ever you want to move it) and let them raise their new queen.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
With only one active queen cell I would think supersedure instead of swarm cell. Is the queen still in the hive and laying?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts