Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in central SC. I have drone brood but no flying drones yet.

Can I make splits now or will the timing not work out? Our spring flow starts about April 15th.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
The timing will be perfect so long as most of the drone brood is sealed brood. You will have drones of breeding age as the queens fly to mate.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
What Ray said. Once the pupae reach the purple-eyed stage, you are good to go with grafts and splits. On another note, did you start feeding your hives syrup and pollen yet? Early feeding will help promote early drone production according to Steve Taber.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if I needed to wait for flying drones. I will put feed on this weekend when I do the splits.

No need for pollen sub here, they forage pollen all year round; no idea what the source is.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The answers that you have thus received are spot on. Most years. There are times when the weather interferes with things. Poor weather for breeding flights can lead to poorly mated queens, drone layers or early supersedures. You should be good, but ya might wanna keep a close eye on how things play out in case you need to intervene..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here in NE Georgia we are having rain Friday through Tuesday. I inspected my hives today and found a few queen cells. I wiped them out, I also wiped out the drones (I realize the hive will make more) and added the first super. I feel the pear trees will not bloom until next week. The buds are swollen and have fringes of growth at the ends. But the lack of sunshine will hold them back so I figure to delay the hives for another week. Temps will be in the 60's during the day for the next week. .
Did I plan correctly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts