Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two queens arriving tomorrow. In order to get them started I was planning to split up my weakest hive into three nucs, similar to what Michael Palmer has described he usually does in July. My plan is to split all the the capped brood (around two frames), all the open brood (another two frames), and give each half a new queen. The old queen with one half frame of brood, two frames of honey and pollen and one empty drawn frame will remain in a nuc box at the old spot to keep the foragers. What I am not sure about is how many bees each split will need to keep the brood warm over night. It get's down to the mid 40s here. Can I just give each split with the new queen most of the bees and let the foragers return to the old hive and keep its little bit of brood and the old queen warm at night? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Marc,
First, how many hives do you have?
I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be splitting my "weakest hive" into three new nucs. There is probably a reason why it's your weakest. I might be tempted to pinch the current queen and make a nuc with some of the weak hive and some additional frames from other hives. Use the two new queens in the old hive and the new nuc. Keep us posted on what you do and how it goes.
Where are you getting your new queens?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John - I have six hives. This weak one is the only survivor out of 8 hives. My other hives were started 2 weeks ago from packages and are coming along nicely, but I don't want to take any frames of brood form them at this point. The two queens are coming from Wooten in California. Th reason I want to split the weak hive and not the others is that I am hoping to make a honey crop from some of them. I want to use the resources of the weakest hive to make increases. I don't want to pinch the old queen and replace her with one of the new ones, because it is still early in the year, she is the only one that made it through the winter, although weak, and it may be just a matter of a few weeks before that hive takes off. I can always pinch her later. In any case, I think creating three five frame nucs out of this hive is probably stretching it some, but we are early in the year and they have plenty of time and resources to build up. I am just not sure how many bees should end up in each nuc. I think I will try and give the nucs with the most brood the most bees and let the old queen with the least amount of brood but the most foragers rebuilt from scratch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts