Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bees are just starting to bring in lots pollen and I have opportunity to get a couple queens this week here in Ky, would it be a bad time to split a hive now into a nuc box and requeen both splits? I can feed both? Just trying to jump start

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
if your hives have an ample workforce to maintain the status quo of the original hive, and a split, then go for it I like to split ahead of the bloom and flow to take advantage of it. I feel the earlier the split, the more time the hive has to build forces.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If your hives have plenty of bees make the split.If the bottom board on the 5 frame nuc is screened I would close it off until after danger of frost The early splits do better. I use pollen patey on top of the frames.I have 2 hives near Grundy Va.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey Mountain Man, if you have a mated queen and a bunch of bees I don't see a problem. Make sure they have enough bees to cover the brood they will have to keep them warm. This crazy weather, talking about another cold spell next week. I checked twenty or so hives this evening and found capped drone brood in several. That put me back in the basement putting in wax deeps.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have access to mated queens but after seeing the weather for next week, im going to hold off till after then. Thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts