Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start a few new hives this spring. For those of you in Northeast Kansas, what would be the earliest date that you would attempt to install packages?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Looking to start a few new hives this spring. For those of you in Northeast Kansas, what would be the earliest date that you would attempt to install packages?

Thank you
not in your area , but lateral. My best guess to be safe would be 3rd week in april, early spring may move that up, but for best results you want to into spring with a great bloom going already

·
Registered
367 Posts
In sw Michigan I have installed the last week of March, this was on drawn comb with about 50% capped honey

If you don’t have comb you need to wait until they can be fed ( over 55F ) or can forage.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Husker,

I'm at the same latitude as you except in the front range at an elevation of 6,800 ft. I'll be installing two 3# packages near the end of the first week of April this year. I installed one at that time of last year with no problems. Be sure to feed them 1:1 sugar syrup and pollen patties immediately, and until your dandelions and local nectar flow starts, and don't let them run short of food.

Cheers,
Steve
=====

1 - 6 of 6 Posts