Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the hive that I thought was lost to dysentery may survive. When and what is the best way to clean it up? We've had 3 or 4 days in which the bees could get out on cleansing flights thank goodness. The snow in front of the hives is more brown than white 15 ft out. One hive is a mess. Landing board has lots of dark poop. Top bars have quite a bit that I can see down through the screen bottom of the moisture quilt. But no poop on the solid insert under the SBB.

So when shoud I try to clean it? What temp? The bees won't clean that up themselves will they?

And what is the best method to clean. Diluted bleach? Hydrogen peroxide? Just water?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
After a rough stretch of winter it is pretty normal to see yellow snow around your hives and bee poo all over the hive itself. Imagine going two or three months without taking a potty break?? when its time to go.. its time to GO!!!
Having said that.. if its Nosema, make sure to treat, and to FEED.. feeding has been shown to reduce the number of nosema spores..
To clean? I scrape everything possible, and use a cloth and warm water to wipe down everything I can without terribly disrupting what remains of the hive. Treatment and feeding will take care of the worst, and the bees WILL clean up some of it inside the hive. You will have to wipe down the outside.. Outside the hive windex works pretty good in the late evening when the bees are in. By the time morning arrives the smell of the windex will have dissipated.
If it isnt Nosema then there is no worry inside the hive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts