Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think feeding late and bees not able to dry down the syrup results in dysentery???

My hives seem to have had "enough" dysentery. Dysentery is mostly on top of the inverted card board french fry trays that I use for my sugar bricks, and on outside on front black hive wrap. I haven't done a queen check, however, good population in all my hives.(two six over sixes and three 10 frame double deeps). My experiment of wintering a mating Nuc failed.

We did get some flying/defecation days in late Feb and March.

I feed syrup modestly through first half of Sept, so as to not plug the brood nest and stop the raising of winter bees. In last half of Sept and into October, I fed syrup until they quit taking it. I use quilt boxes, so was not concerned about excess moisture in the hives. I thought some moisture could be a good thing because quilt boxes control the moisture so well.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Do you think feeding late and bees not able to dry down the syrup results in dysentery???

My hives seem to have had "enough" dysentery. Dysentery is mostly on top of the inverted card board french fry trays that I use for my sugar bricks, and on outside on front black hive wrap. I haven't done a queen check, however, good population in all my hives.(two six over sixes and three 10 frame double deeps). My experiment of wintering a mating Nuc failed.

We did get some flying/defecation days in late Feb and March.

I feed syrup modestly through first half of Sept, so as to not plug the brood nest and stop the raising of winter bees. In last half of Sept and into October, I fed syrup until they quit taking it. I use quilt boxes, so was not concerned about excess moisture in the hives. I thought some moisture could be a good thing because quilt boxes control the moisture so well.
I am seeing a few references to tracheal mites sneaking back into the picture. I have a few colonies that have shown some dysentery and some very small clusters. One that starved out that should have had lots of resources. No varroa signs. I wonder if my heavy dependance on OAV has less effect on trachael? I have not tested or treated for nosema for years either but some happenings since the european foulbrood summer of 2017 have me jumping at shadows!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.