Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I have 3 top bar hives. Monday we had a high of 49 and low of 29. Bees flew and things looked normal and I thought I had 3 healthy hives. Tuesday - same weather. I opened up my 4th hive that had died in December to clean it up and saw that they didn't have any pollen left, so I thought I should add pollen patties to the other 3. When I opened up my ankle biter hive, I thought they were dead. There were a lot of dead bees on the bottom and a small cluster in the front of the hive where there was no food. I left it open to work on the other two hives and when I went back to clean that one up, the bees were moving a little bit. I quickly closed it up.

Wednesday we had a high of 71. I went out to observe and I noticed that bees were walking out of the entrance and falling to the ground. Then I noticed bees crawling on the ground everywhere. Bees were also flying in, but those could have been robbers from my other hives. Or, there were some healthy bees that belonged to this hive because there was no fighting.

Could they have just frozen and were weak? I couldn't check on them today. I'm guessing they are gone.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts