Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will DWV clear up once the mites are brought under control? I have two hives one hive I have noticed a few bees with DWV and I am getting 5-6mite drop in a 24hr period. The other hive I am seeing very few mites maybe 1-2 in a 24hr period.

Both hives seem to be doing fine plenty of brood lots of foragers coming and going with pollen. I did an oxlic acid treatment via vaporization today and I will do another one in 10 days. I know it is best to do this during a broodless time of year. But, I would like to knock some of the mites down and try to make it through the summer without anymore treatments. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
60 Posts
johng, If you get your mite load under control there is a good possibility that your hive can survive. I have a hive that was treated for Varroa with Mite Away II and eventually the DWV cleared up.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, everything else seems ok. Granted I am brand new and may not know what I am looking at. I bought both hives about a month ago. They were complete hives. I've only done two inspections so far one right after I got them and one the other day. My smaller hive looks very good there were three full frames of bood with very few empty holes. (it is one deep and one med) The other hive is the one with the DWV and it has more mites. (it is 8frame 4 med hive bodies) It looks good also. It is full of bees in all four hive bodies. But, the brood pattern is not as complete. I want to split this hive here pretty soon.

Both hives had a bunch of drone brood in between the hive bodies on top of the top bars so when I pulled the hive body off it broke open these cells and I had to scrape them off. I guess this was the only place for the queen to lay them. I have some package bees ordered for this spring I would like to try out Small cell foundation eventually. I will keep you'll updated how things are going. Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
i would add a pollen patty to give them extra nutrition. Keep an eye for nosema levels. Once one threshold barrier has been breached in one instance, it lowers the threshold for other diseases. Nutrition will help to alievate some of the stress. Applying a patty inside the hive will help with easy access and on no fly days they can still "forage" and eat what is applied.
Look at it from the perspective of primary, seconday and tertiary infections. Once the primary has weakend the hive, it does not take as much pressure for the secondary to become a problem...and so on.

feeding some 1:1 syrup will also help at this point. Not so they become honey bound but so they can get all the help they need to reboost the colony. Remember, you could have a cycle or two of DWV and that will decrease your number of foragers in 20 days or so putting additional stress on the hive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts