Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to have a party with friends outdoors.
Even better when there is snow!

Brown the beef in the open dutch oven, use red wine, salt and pepper, dried rosemary and thyme or other herbs you like and some spoonfuls of dark honey to make a sauce, close up and keep over
embers for 4 hours ( 2kg of meat).
Eat with fresh sour bread.
Cheers!

Dutch  Oven.jpg
Dutch Oven.jpg

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Looks delicious SiWolKe, if i was near I would try to crash your party!

In my part of the world the term Dutch Oven has entirely different connotations.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sibylle, I've used a very similar recipe for both beef and venison. I can testify that it is a wonderful dish.

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
SiWolKe for a time when I was a teenager I did a lot of my cooking in what you call a Dutch Oven. One of my first beekeeping jobs, the boss owned some land which was the basis of his beekeeping business. I had 2 options, one was to rent somewhere to live in the nearest town about 1/2 hour drive away, or the boss offered me to live rent free in a shed on his property the other advantage I wouldn't have to drive to work every day.

So I went with the free rent option and stayed there around 2 years. There were no cooking facilities but there was thousands of acres of bush plenty of wood fuel so I bought what you call a Dutch Oven and that was my cook pot, I got pretty good at cooking almost anything in it even desert, was also able to shoot small game literally out of the shed window so fresh meat.

Kept that Dutch Oven for years afterwards it was not till I got married my wife forced me to throw it away.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
SiWolKe for a time when I was a teenager I did a lot of my cooking in what you call a Dutch Oven. One of my first beekeeping jobs, the boss owned some land which was the basis of his beekeeping business. I had 2 options, one was to rent somewhere to live in the nearest town about 1/2 hour drive away, or the boss offered me to live rent free in a shed on his property the other advantage I wouldn't have to drive to work every day.

So I went with the free rent option and stayed there around 2 years. There were no cooking facilities but there was thousands of acres of bush plenty of wood fuel so I bought what you call a Dutch Oven and that was my cook pot, I got pretty good at cooking almost anything in it even desert, was also able to shoot small game literally out of the shed window so fresh meat.

Kept that Dutch Oven for years afterwards it was not till I got married my wife forced me to throw it away.
:eek: What?!? Threw it away? It was just getting to be properly cured!

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Agreed. One of many things she did in her drive to transform me into a properly cultured person such as herself. She is my ex wife now, I can breath.

Oh, over here we call them camp ovens.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. One of many things she did in her drive to transform me into a properly cultured person such as herself. She is my ex wife now, I can breath.

Oh, over here we call them camp ovens.
OT, now I know something about you. Seems to me your ex- wife attempts made you less civilized sometimes ;) trying the opposite. Too strong a character, are you?:)
So my advise is: buy a used camp oven.....

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
Good advise SiWolKe but camp oven days are over I live in a house in the suburbs now, I am very civilised ;). Did get to have some fun times with my children and the camp oven though, before it was finally disposed of.

Have been thinking once I'm out of bees I would like to pack up some stuff and go bush for a few months, would be a fantastic break. Not as fit as I used to be though.

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
It will have to happen sooner or later, price of honey dropping and all.

Thing is I really do want to do a bush trip but winter here is too cold and miserable it needs to be summer, but also I do want at least some bees till I die, maybe I'll have to put them under management for a season.

Or maybe I'll just do a quick 2 or 3 week trip once swarming is over and the hives are all boxed up, that might work. :)

Camp oven won't be part of my kit, too heavy, but there are other ways to achieve the same thing.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I thought they were only for squirrel, I have not broke out mine since my dad willed it to me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It will have to happen sooner or later, price of honey dropping and all.

Thing is I really do want to do a bush trip but winter here is too cold and miserable it needs to be summer, but also I do want at least some bees till I die, maybe I'll have to put them under management for a season.

Or maybe I'll just do a quick 2 or 3 week trip once swarming is over and the hives are all boxed up, that might work. :)

Camp oven won't be part of my kit, too heavy, but there are other ways to achieve the same thing.
well i would care for your bees if i would live near you but it might be they are tf then or none survive..--:D

minz, they are trendy here, try it!

·
Registered
11,124 Posts
I am sure the bees would enjoy your attention SiWolKe :).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts