Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you are working the hive and have smoke in the entrance and top, do
the returning foraging field bees, go into the hive or circle around until they have a safe entry?

·
Registered
355 Posts
they buzz around the front a bit if the smoke is thick but once it clears a bit they fly in. remember not to use to much smoke. a few small puffs is enough usually. i think you only should use what you need. watch and listen to the bees by paying attention to them you will know if you need more smoke.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One other important thing...once you smoke the hive, make sure and wait at least a couple of minutes before opening.

We all started at zero as far as beekeeping knowledge. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A couple minutes? :eek: I don't wait a couple minutes. You can't smoke 'em in the top without opening the hive. :scratch: :lpf:

Yes, open them and smoke them and then maybe wait about 30 seconds or so before working them. IMO :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It is always best to smoke the entrance and wait just a little bit befoe opening and smoking the top. I generally smoke the entrance of the entire yard before I start pawing thru any hives.

As far as how much smoke. that depends on day, attitude of bees, and strength of colony. Sometimes you just have to make smoke below thru the colony. I figured that out with some super HOT supposed BUCKFAST bees from Texas.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am a greenhorn here and typically I just give them two or three puffs in the entrance then a couple more in the top. I do not wait between but I think that I will start doing so.
Does it matter what product of combustion is used? I know not to use treated wood, plastic, etc... but I do use cardboard egg cartons and wood shavings from shop projects along with corn cobs too. I have not had any problems but am just curious.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You can buy smoker fuel, or like me use pine needles and sticks.... cardboard would be ok I guess, but remember, glue might be used in them and might not be safe. Egg cartons? Are they cardboard? Wood shavings would be best.... corn cobs- I guess... never tried that.

I don't get in my hives alot. The more you are in them the more bees you will lose and the more you will weaken the hives. I have many hives I never wear anything with and never have to smoke. However, I have a few that if I just go in without smoke... look out! I do just as you do... smoke the front and top and then I wait only for a couple second and then open and go in.

Yes I go in... we sit and have tea w/ honey and the queen and I chat and have a good laugh. We make fun of the drones....:lpf:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
A couple minutes? I don't wait a couple minutes. You can't smoke 'em in the top without opening the hive.
I use Hessian ( Burlap) bags for my smoker - Casuarina Leves work very well too and smell nice. I use ventilated Migratory Lids and give a few puffs through the screened holes, wait a minute and open the lid. I never smoke the entrance. Indeed I believe that the bees at the entrance need not to know that I'm working a super up looking at the honey box.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I give 2 or 3 puffs at the front door then lift a corner on the lid and a puff or 2. Drop the lid for 20 seconds or so and then take the top off and give a puff across the frames and go to what ever I am going in there for. And sometimes I don't smoke at all. A $6.00 bag of kennel cedar chips from Lowes will last you two plus years and keep a smoker going for hours. It's all I use and easy to light with newspaper.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I give 2 or 3 puffs at the front door then lift a corner on the lid and a puff or 2. Drop the lid for 20 seconds or so and then take the top off and give a puff across the frames and go to what ever I am going in there for. And sometimes I don't smoke at all. QUOTE]

About the same as I do... although my bees don't get a front door, -not even a screen door!- I am cheap! :lpf:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I need to clarify something. I smoke all the hives in my yard. Then go back and work the first one smoked, adding a couple more puffs if neded...thus a couple of minutes...sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I need to clarify something. I smoke all the hives in my yard. Then go back and work the first one smoked, adding a couple more puffs if neded...thus a couple of minutes...sorry for the confusion.
Who was confused? :scratch: I was joking... :D I knew what you meant. ;)

It is whatever works best for you. Sometimes, for them...lol

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Speaking about smoke, has anyone heard any more from that beek who was going to use cannabis leaves to smoke his hives? Wonder how that worked out... :scratch:
or if he even cares? :lpf:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts