Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girls got lots of holly honey this Spring and have capped it with a moisture content over over 20%. I extracted it, which was a breeze in its watery condition, and filtered it into buckets. I believe I need to dry it and am asking for suggestions on doing this. Right now I have @ 700 lbs. in food grade plastic pails, but can do the work in other containers. WJP

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Very unusual to have capped honey at 20%, but I did see some last year after the cotton flow. Some of it had even fermented and bubbled out the wax cappings. Usually the spring honey (holly is definitely spring honey) does not pose a problem since the ambient conditions are much drier. Assuming that your refractometer is correct, I think you've learned a valuable lesson - when in doubt ALWAYS test honey BEFORE extracting. 700 lbs of 20% honey is a real pain to manage. Once the honey is in the pails it is much harder to reduce moisture. If this honey is really at 20%, you need to take action soon as it most definitely will ferment. Some have had success with exposing the honey to really dry air. I believe that they used a dehumidifier and fan in a small room. Of course the pails need to be open and you need to stir the honey often to expose the surface to the dry air.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts