Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever mixed a tad of dry pollen substitute in with their dry sugar feedings?
Here's why I ask?
We had a nightmarishly wet early fall. It's during this time when the goldenrod is being packed into the hive. With the amount of rain we got, it was obvious that the bees did not get the goldenrod pollen that usually turns some racks almost solid yellow. As I look in hives, they have what appears to be a decent amount honey/sugar water that I had fed. But there is very little pollen. One nuc has virtually zero pollen.
I have 2-3 inch extensions for my nucs for pollen patty/sugar/bag feeding. Was wondering if anyone has ever added a litttle pollen substitute powder to their dry sugar? Any complications that anyone could think of?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If they don't get to it in time it could absorb moisture and go bad.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
. . . turns some racks almost solid yellow. . .
Are you actually using the word "racks" to indicate frames and honeycombs? I think I've heard them described as "racks", one other time, though I don't remember where I'd heard it. Do other beekeepers in your area also use the word, "rack" to indicate frames and combs?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absorb moisture and go bad???? Isn't a pattie full of moisture? I've never seen one of them mold and/or go bad? How long we talking in the winter?

As for the word "rack"....that, I guess, would be a word passed down to me by my dad. Since I was a kid, he would say the word "rack". He'd also say "frame" sometimes, too, though.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
theriverhawk,

Thanks for sharing that terminology tidbit - beekeeping terminology is also a fascination for me, but not as much as the bees themselves.

--
I have sometimes thought about possibly mixing pollen, or pollen substitute with dry granular sugar, but I was afraid that the bees might not get to it as soon as I want them to.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
As for the word "rack"....that, I guess, would be a word passed down to me by my dad. Since I was a kid, he would say the word "rack". He'd also say "frame" sometimes, too, though.

Then you have a rack of ribs, and the racks guys like to admire. (Deer antlers folks, deer antlers.)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I added some pollen sub to my bees this summer after they swarmed and appeared to not build up very well. I thought if I added powered sugar mixed in with the sub it would entice them to more readily take it. It seemed to work. Spread it on the top bars. Every other day it would be gone so I added more. The bees started to work it as I was putting it on the top bars. However if I added too much it would absorb moister but the bees would still take it. It never lasted long enough for it to get moldy. Did it do any good??? Hard to say since I didn’t use the scientific method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts