Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspected my Russian hybrid hive today. All I found in the super was a bunch of dead drones (on top and stuck between the wires) so I took off the excluder. I put my bucket feeder in but then picked it upto adjust where I had placed it, dropped the darn thing. The lid came off and syrup went every where. It took a minute for me to react. I grabbed the feeder and threw it into the grass. Then I threw the box and inner cover in the grass. I shook off the cover, replaced it and put the top back on.
I could see syruo running out of the front entrance, from between the boxes and htrough the screened bottom!
I wanted to feed them, not drownd them! :ws When I looked a couple hrs later, there were bees everywhere but nothing that looked like fighting.
I guess I will go in tomorrow and see how they fared.
Meridith

·
Registered
69 Posts
you might should bring some cinnamon with you on your next inspection.
i don't know how it is there, but here every ant within 5 miles would be inviting themselves to dinner.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thats exactly what i thought when i was reading the thread-"ANTS"! You should get you a bottle of cinnamin and sprinkle some all around the top of the inner cover and sprinkle the rest all around the hive until the cinnamin bottle is empty. You dont want any ants!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depending on where your hive is you might want to try watering the area down to dilute the super and wash it away. This will help cut down on the any problem.

I would also consider not using a queen excluder. Once the bees set up a honey barrier the queen will not cross into your honey supers. It sounds like you check your hive enough that you could time putting on your supers and make sure the honey supers are fine. I think you will see an increase in honey production. (next year)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I am not sure why anyone would have an excluder and feeder on at the same time? Or are you saying that you removed the excluder and then added the feeder?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put on the excluder 3-4 wks ago to try to get frames of honey for winter stores for both my hives. At that time they had very little scattered through the boxes. Yesterday they had no honey anywhere and very little pollen. I removed the excloder and was putting the feeder on. I picked it up to be sure it wasn't dripping and dropped it, spilling the whole thing.:doh:
Today, they are flying as usual. There are a few yellow jackets and not a lot of ants but I will put some cinnanmin around them. I will put feedrs on both hives today.
I was actually more worried about the effect on the bees from the syrup washing through the hive over the frames and the bees.

Meridith

·
Registered
983 Posts
Meridith,

Join the club. I did the same thing in the spring. I used one of those stupid feeders from Brushy Mountain. They leaked all the time and one after I filled it and was placing it on the hive...............sploosh.......a 1/2 gallon so syrup down through the hive.

My bees did just fine.

I switched to mason jar feeder.........screw on lids!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts