Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when you're doing a hive inspection and drop a brood frame, how long until you can tell if you killed the queen? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
So, when you're doing a hive inspection and drop a brood frame, how long until you can tell if you killed the queen?
They'll be starting an emergency queen cell right away, and it should be fairly easy for your friend to recognize by day three or so. But you're likely best off to stay out of the hive for several weeks to avoid harming the cell, injuring the pupal queen's wings during her last couple of days in the cell before emerging, and interfering with the new queen's orienting and mating flights.

On the other hand, your friend most likely didn't hurt the queen and will sleep better if they look through the hive in ten days or so to see young larvae. Just saying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dropping a frame, probably something most beekeepers have done once or twice.

as Riverderwent stated if you go back in the hive three or four days later and can't locate the queen but see queen cells than you most likely lost the queen in the drop.
if you see eggs in the brood nest during this inspection you're probably in the clear.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I've got a friend who dropped the frame with his prized queen on it about 6 weeks ago. It knocked almost every bee off the frame, except the queen, I, I mean he was surprised that she held on for the ride, but she's doing fine.

That same moron dropped another one last week.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think we have the same friend. Just this last Friday, he was splitting a swarmed hive with lots of queen cells. Turn to hand a heavy frame with honey and capped brood to his son. His son not expecting the weight starts to drop it. My friend tries to catch it as it is fallen, and his son tries to catch at it is fallen, and they both slam their heads into each other. The bees slam on to the ground, and go every where. A few crawlers make it up both his and his sons pants legs and stings them both, on both legs and calves. So their they are jumping around the bee-yard after getting a good smack on the head as they hold their pants legs closed at the knee to prevent a sting even higher up. After they got done smoking each other, they finished the splits.

Man that friend of ours, what a dope. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to see others have had the same issue and their colonies have survived. I'll let you know how my next inspection goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts