Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently reading Practical Queen Rearing and in it they said something that i dont know is true because it seems it was writen a while back. It said that you should control the number of drones you have because they can stop you form getting surplus honey. Is this true or false and if true
how would one go about lowering drone population in a hive.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
This particular study suggests that. Check abstract number 15.

http://www.extension.org/pages/Proceedings_of_the_American_Bee_Research_Conference,_2009

However, there was significantly more surplus honey produced by control colonies (25.4 frames ± 3.9, mean ± s.e.) over natural cell colonies (5.4 frames ± 3.5; P = 0.0052). This difference may be related to the greater amount of drone comb produced by natural cell colonies (33% ± 3.5%, mean ± s.e.) as opposed to control colonies (1% ± 0.2; P ? 0.0001).

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
By replacing Drone comb with new foundation for worker comb. Making sure you have a well bred queen. Poorly bred queens often lay more drones (unferilized eggs) due to a lack of stored sperm. Keep in mind a healthy drone population is a key aspect of healthy hives.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If you give them nowhere to draw drone comb, it'll end up as burr, brace and hassle comb :). Easier, and helpful to colony health as part of an IPM approach, to cull drone comb before they emerge. It takes some timing, but it helps control varroiasis, opens up the colony a bit, reduces drones and the chickens LOVE it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you're using wax foundation you don't have to worry about drone comb. The bees can form drone cells on worker sized foundation with no problem; they just enlarge the cell base and go to work! Evidently, not the case with plastic foundation, which is why the suppliers sell those green drone frames.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As a coincidence, I was just reading the part of Michael Bush's web site that says that research shows that trying to reduce drones will decrease honey production.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts