Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me about why so many drones are crawling in front of my busy hive? They are in the grass crawling up to the tops of the blades of grass. Im new and cant find info on what this indicates. I can count 20-30 at a time and I have just one hive in its second spring. thanks:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would be interested in that too.I have one hive that was just boiling over with bees.I went in to check it yesterday and they had brood and eggs up in the honey super and queen cells on the bottom of the frames not to mention a bunch of drones walking around everywhere.We took that super off and stuck it on another brood box and took it to my buddies house so the queen can mate with some drones from there.When I got back home I went up to look at my hives and noticed a bunch of drones doing the same thing you had mentioned.I imagine that its all related to them getting ready to swarm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A speaker at our bee association said many drones at the entrance and on the ground in the spring is the best sign of a pending swarm from that hive. This turned out to be exactly what happened to me right after that meeting -- my hive swarmed but because I recognized that sign, I was able to watch for the swarming and catch a basketball sized swarm. So maybe this is what is happening with your hive. "My" swarm also followed the pattern of swarming on a sunny day in mid morning right after a few cloudy, rainy days. Susan

·
Registered
203 Posts
Drones die right after they mate. Mating pulls their sex organ out. They come back to the hive and die around on the ground.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My observations are that the hive will kick the drones out when their stores are low, any time of year. They will chew their wings also. I have seen this happen in my hive and thought that I had DWV from excessive Varoa. It wasn't the case (mite drop count). I actually saw the worker bees chewing the wings on the drones. I fed heavily for a few days, and the drones disappeared.

Are your bees low on stores? Are the drones wings chewed up?

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for input. The wings and abdomens are intact and they have plenty of stores at this point. Here in Pa, somedays it seems like summer came before spring.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Drones fly put daily to congregation areas and wait for a queen to fly by. When they do not mate, they fly back to their hive or a neighboring hive and wait until tomorrow. It takes a lot of energy for the fat boys to fly and they sometimes miss the landing board. Try putting a small piece of queen excluder across the hive entrance slanted to the workers can easily slip through the open sides. You'll collect a wad of drones who can't figure it out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My observations are that the hive will kick the drones out when their stores are low, any time of year. They will chew their wings also. I have seen this happen in my hive and thought that I had DWV from excessive Varoa. It wasn't the case (mite drop count). I actually saw the worker bees chewing the wings on the drones. I fed heavily for a few days, and the drones disappeared.

Are your bees low on stores? Are the drones wings chewed up?

Ken

I noticed a lot of drones on the ground of my hives last year when the SHB problem was at its worst point. Stores were not low, but could have been better at the time. But the hive was certainly in distress. As I got the SHB issue under control, the drones were more and more in the hive. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts