Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peeked inside my Single body hive yesterday...
Only one I have....

Saw that every frame is drawen out... but the 2nd frame from the end had Drone cells capped on both sides... and I'm not talken just a little strip.
I talken both sides. 300 or more cells. As I started pulling frames tward the middle The bees were putting the sugar water in the middle.
As I got to the other end.... that is where the brood is... there was a frame of caped over brood and a frame of non caped brood... good pattern.
Just not in the middle like the books say....

Why are there do much drone brood....?
Should I pull it out and freese(mite control) it...?
Why are they putting the brood new the side and the honey stores in the middle...????
Should I reorder the frames to put the brood in the middle and put the stores on the sides....?

Is there a bee teacher for the bees, to tell them how they should be doing this....???

Thanks
Steve Croom

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
steve c sezs:
Just not in the middle like the books say....

tecumseh replies:
books are a good guide to your thinking and doing, but be somewhat cautious about assuming they are the law of the land.

then steve c ask:
Why are there do much drone brood....?
Should I pull it out and freese(mite control) it...?

tecumseh replies:
I would likely first use it, via pulling mature larvae, to monitor mite levels. Most likely I would simply shove it up to the very outside of the box and once the drone mature and hatch will then become a stores frame.

the steve c ask:
Should I reorder the frames to put the brood in the middle and put the stores on the sides....?

tecumseh replies:
I would, although I would suspect that the girls are slowly moving from one side of the box to the other. So if you give them long enough they will likely get there themselves. For some reason the queen began laying on one side of the box and is slowly expanding would be my best guess.

good luck and good season...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts