Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bees since March. Only one colony and I want to try a split. Despite an early swarm the colony is very strong with good brood and resources. Two deeps and 2 medium 10-frame Lang. I don't have a QE on since I have been focusing on building a strong colony and not concerned about harvesting honey. Been doing mite control with both formic acid (before the heat hit) and currently doing a series of OAV. I'm in a small city / suburban type setting but have wildland areas within 1/4 mile. This is dearth time in the wildlands. Very hot and dry.

I was thinking I had the walk-away split all figured out and was gearing up to do it then thought, hmmm.... will there be drones around in early August for the new virgin queen to mate with? If I still have drone cells in my colony is it safe to assume there will be drone congregation areas around in August? I will look for drones in my hive when I open it up in the next few days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're seeing drones in your hive, there is likely a DCA nearby. There should be plenty for a virgin queen to mate into August especially if you're still seeing drone brood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts