Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed robber screens on my hives last weekend. I now realize that they should have probably be on a while ago for the bees to get acclimated. Lesson learned. Yesterday seemed to be a very aggressive robbing day. I could hear the noise from across the yard. I've gone out and observed each morning to see how many bees are still outside. It's now down to mostly drones. I can watch them passing thru the top entrance, just curious why so many are not going in. They obviously fit thru. Isn't it a bit early for drones to be kicked out? Or is it due to a dearth and cooler weather we're experiencing this week?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I placed robber screens on my hives last weekend. I now realize that they should have probably be on a while ago for the bees to get acclimated. Lesson learned.
With the robbing season almost upon us, a few days ago I toured the apiary checking on anti-robbing screens - and found two hives on which I'd taken them off and then promptly forgotten about them.
After replacing the screens, I noticed that the bees were having a hard time adjusting to their presence - due no doubt to not having had such an entrance obstruction for maybe two months or more. It occurred to me that they don't have much difficulty adjusting to a change in entrance position itself - and so I changed the entrance positions thusly:

A simple shield - made from a scrap of plywood and two wood-screws - hanging in front of the screen is all it takes. The bees have very quickly learned to go "over the top", and so I'll be leaving those shields in place for at least a couple of days.

Needless to say, this would NOT be a good idea if there was robbing in progress, as it defeats the whole object of having a screen.

Sorry - don't have an answer about those drones ...
LJ

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you're seeing robbing it suggests that you're in a dearth. The hives may be showing those boys the door to reduce resource consumption.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're seeing robbing it suggests that you're in a dearth. The hives may be showing those boys the door to reduce resource consumption.
We are definitely in a dearth. The wingstem and goldenrod are not quite blooming yet... just starting to see some in the last day or so. It seemed early for drone "dismissal" but they know better than we do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Jonsl;
You
re just north of me, are you seeing any dearth yet? I keep seeing the bees coming and going from first light to late dusk. I went out yesterday, between calls (this working from home suxs) and it appeared that "the pattern is full Maverick" and a 100 bees were flying around trying to get in the hive while another 100 were trying to get out. Meanwhile, the porch bees on the landing board were wash boarding (doing the macarena) with no interest in the flight pattern, Looked like a normal day with maybe a few more bees than normal. I saw that there was a lot of mint blooming nearby and they're coming and going with a mission. Looks like a week or two more for goldenrod.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I placed robber screens on my hives last weekend. I now realize that they should have probably be on a while ago for the bees to get acclimated. Lesson learned. Yesterday seemed to be a very aggressive robbing day. I could hear the noise from across the yard. I've gone out and observed each morning to see how many bees are still outside. It's now down to mostly drones. I can watch them passing thru the top entrance, just curious why so many are not going in. They obviously fit thru. Isn't it a bit early for drones to be kicked out? Or is it due to a dearth and cooler weather we're experiencing this week?
Hi Bjorn. You are maybe 20-30 miles north of me (Roscoe?). I am in Byron. I have not noticed behavior that looks like a dearth. I wonder if the drones are just stupider than worker bees and it takes them longer to figure out how to get in.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to go to beek meetings down there in Byron. I believe I initiated the initial robbing by placing wet supers nearby for open feeding last weekend. I suspect the hive is "marked" now. I am just seeing wingstem blooms so maybe I can open at least the top entrance to allow better flow in.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Jonsl;
You
re just north of me, are you seeing any dearth yet? I keep seeing the bees coming and going from first light to late dusk. I went out yesterday, between calls (this working from home suxs) and it appeared that "the pattern is full Maverick" and a 100 bees were flying around trying to get in the hive while another 100 were trying to get out. Meanwhile, the porch bees on the landing board were wash boarding (doing the macarena) with no interest in the flight pattern, Looked like a normal day with maybe a few more bees than normal. I saw that there was a lot of mint blooming nearby and they're coming and going with a mission. Looks like a week or two more for goldenrod.
No dearth. It's raining every week so I don't expect one this year. Knapweed is going strong which should hold them over until goldenrod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts