Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a sign of anything? They were coming and going nonstop this afternoon. Generally I don't see many drones.

I am guessing that a batch of drone brood hatched recently and were making their first flights.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
They have a schedule. You probably caught them when they were on their way out to the DCA (Drone Congregation Area).

wow - you know, that could be a complete joke, or completely true, and I couldn't tell the difference! Mr. Bush, April 1 was a while back...(im laughing here, mostly at my own lack of experience/knowledge!)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
FG, There are several DCA's up in the sky somewhere. How the Drones decide where they are and how the queens know to fly by them is still a mystery. But at certain times, depending on the breed, the drones have to bee there and the mating queens know it. weird, huh?

Hawk

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>wow - you know, that could be a complete joke, or completely true, and I couldn't tell the difference! Mr. Bush, April 1 was a while back...(im laughing here, mostly at my own lack of experience/knowledge!)

I didn't intend it as a joke. The drones go to the bee singles bar (AKA Drone Congregation Area or DCA) every afternoon and return every evening.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
They have a schedule. You probably caught them when they were on their way out to the DCA (Drone Congregation Area).
You can watch during specific times. On average, drones fly between apx. 2 to 6 PM, but this is largely weather dependant.

I didn't intend it as a joke. The drones go to the bee singles bar (AKA Drone Congregation Area or DCA) every afternoon and return every evening.
Not every afternoon. Drone flying is weather dependant, and requires a temperature of about 63F or more to fly to a DCA. If the weather is bad, drones will make up for the lost time with increased flying time the next nice day.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Not every afternoon. Drone flying is weather dependant, and requires a temperature of about 63F or more to fly to a DCA. If the weather is bad, drones will make up for the lost time with increased flying time the next nice day.

You are correct. I should have said every reasonably NICE afternoon.
If the wind is blowing 30 mph they definitely won't be flying. If it's pouring down rain they definitely won't be flying.

·
Registered
307 Posts
For a while, I could count on large numbers of drones returning at 4 PM local time. I haven't checked lately and I suspect the time is slightly different now since it's later in the year and the timing is presumably based on sun time rather than what my watch reads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts