Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping a close eye out on my hives and the drones are just now starting to fly. I collect swarms in our area and put ads in the local publications to collect swarms. So my question is this. When do you start seeing swarms and swarm calls come in after your first drones of the year start flying? I'm located in the mid west

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I've been keeping a close eye out on my hives and the drones are just now starting to fly. I collect swarms in our area and put ads in the local publications to collect swarms. So my question is this. When do you start seeing swarms and swarm calls come in after your first drones of the year start flying? I'm located in the mid west
We always used drones as our early indicator guide to which hives were going to swarm. A hive with resources to raise alot of drones early is a hive that will have resources to swarm. Swarm timing tends to be guided by seasonal weather and triggered by bloom. If you watch your own hives for white comb, increased build up and busy flight days, maybe some night entrance crowding, you can bet that's the time to expect you area to start issuing swarms. One more resource is for calls is you local 911 or police and fire dispatch. Send the dispatch a sheet with your name and information on it and what you do and It'll stay close to the radio dispatch. They are always looking for resources when it comes to dealing with swarms. Catch a bunch!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here in Eastern Ky, I checked a hive on Friday that had a dozen or so queen cells ready to be capped. I pulled the Queen yesterday.

·
Registered
144 Posts
whats funny is I caught one from a co-workers Bradford pear yesterday and I just noticed one here at my place today! Working on a box for it now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts