Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night a friend of mine asked me to take a look at his one hive. He has three capped supercedure cells, a ton of drone brood, some capped, some still open, no active drones yet and a good number of worker bees. Ten days ago we checked his hive, because he though he had no queen, couldn't fine her. We looked and he had patches of fresh eggs, one per cell, on the bottom, dead center. He also had the supercedure cells with larvae in them. Back than I told him to just put everything together and let the bees do their thing.

Now here is the question. What is going on in that hive? I don't think he has laying workers because of the one egg per cell, all the way at the bottom. Yet all he has are drones in either capped or uncapped cells where worker brood should be. And he ahs capped supercedure cells. Does that mean he has a failing queen? If so she barely managed to lay eggs in the supercedure cups before running out of sperm and only laying drones after that.

The follow-up question is, even if those supercedure cells hatch queens and one survives and flies out to mate, here in Indiana I don't believe we have drones yet. I am guessing her mating flight will be sometime around April 12 to 14.

Here are the options I see for him:
1) Do nothing and see if the queen can mate and start to lay worker eggs.
2) Shake out the hive and put the empty frames back at the original place and install a new queen.
3) Shake out the bees and move the hive a different spot in the yard and install a package of bees.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I would wait and see :scratch:

I talked to a guy here that has capped droan brood so hopefuly some where in your area there is droans waiting on the corner by the pool hall waiting for the girls to go by :applause:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts