Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday was setting up a few new hive stands in the bee yard and decided since it was mid 50s and sunny with no wind to take a look in a couple hives. Its going to be mid 60s today so ill do some more of that this afternoon.

The two hives i looked through had large populations of bees.
1 hive was 2 deep and 1 medium. They are brooding up in the medium super but there are tons of bees on every frame in all 3 boxes.
They are storing nectar and pollen. One of the deeps is still completely full of capped honey so i guess i left them too much for winter.
The other hive ia a 3 deep 1 medium hive and same deal just a TON of bees everywhere. Ill be honest i didnt spot the queen in either colony but it was like looking for a needle in a haystack with that many bees.
Similar deal in the second hive with every frame in every box with bees. Small amount of brood in top box.
2 full deeps of capped honey.

They are bringing in pale yellow and also orange pollen and there is plenty of fresh wet nectar being stored too.

The thing i found most interesting is in the first hive there was a modest amount of drone brood at the bottom of a foundationless frame ( didnt see any drone brood in hive 2)
->but in both hives there are a few drones wandering around amongst the girls. Im kinda shocked by this given how early we are in the year and the fact we had snow here this week.

Perhaps ill be grafting earlier than i had thought this year.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Those live drones likely overwintered and I would wonder about the quality of their sperm. I wouldn't plan on grafting until you have tons and tons of drones and strong and reliable sources of pollen. The extra-early drones may indicate a greater likelihood of swarming. If you have many frames of honey still on the hive consider getting some of them off and replacing with drawn empty comb. I think an unusually well-stocked pantry is also a significant swarm prompt.

I was just looking at my medium range forecasts, and here at least, it looks to continue a slightly cooler pattern for the high temps than normal (so far it's been a colder and later spring.) But OTOH, from here on out the lows seem to less-low than normal. You have the considerably-more moderating influence of the lake.

Nancy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts