Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With temps in high seventies I just had to open the hives today! One hive is low on amount of capped brood but the other four are doing gangbusters. Made two splits and still have one hive that could make a couple splits easily. Pooped out before I got them done so maybe next time. Was pleasantly surprised at how many drones were visible today.
Used wood chips from table saw work and coarse sawdust to fire the smoker today, works like a champ for smoker fuel.
ps-only one sting from pinching bee with knee on box--gettin better at this! Really appreciate the medium boxes instead of the deeps, thank all on this forum for gettin me on the right track.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I haven't seen any drones yet, but I was putting screened bottoms on a few of my hives today and when I lifted the top deep off one hive, there were a dozen drone pupae in the brace comb between boxes, so it won't be long now.

The really good news is there were no varroa on them

·
Registered
462 Posts
I hived two packages a couple of weeks ago and notice a very large number of the bees were drones. They were having trouble getting into the hive through the reducer. Took the reducer off a few days ago and I have not seen any drones. Of course, they could be scampering around inside the deep. Hope not.

Ron S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts