Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else seeing large drones? Mine look like they are competing with bumblebees. They seem very large this year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got two packages out of Georgia and it had some huge drones in it. My first thought when I saw them was that they weren't honeybees.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Maybe you forgot what they looked like. :) Or had nothing to compare them to, so they seem larger when they aren't. Even if they are, I don't think it means anything.

Now small drones, that means you have a drone layer. A queen laying unfertilized eggs in worker cells or a worker bee laying eggs. Another story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm seeing some big drones also. I put in some foundationless frames for the first time ever and I guess they are making cells the size they want for a change.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Ours are so big the neighbor flushed a group and shot them thinking they were huge pheasant! I have great concern because turkey season opens soon.:lpf:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Big fluffy tan teddy bear drones in my hives. Huge black drones with super long legs in one of my feral swarms. They kind of freaked me out at first.......:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Split my hive last week and my drones are big, fat, and very happy. They seem much bigger this year than last. All is going well with both hives, orientating and bringing in tons of pollen.

Joyce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts