Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These past few weeks have been very warm and most colonies are building-up very vigorously. Most of the stronger hives, even nucs, have maintained a modest amount of drones, but I am intrigued, that all of the strongest colonies have been, and are continuing to expand the amount of drone brood being raised. Granted that I am seeing more brood of both worker and drone, than is typical for this time of year, but even during our strongest flows of the year, I rarely, if ever, see this many drones being raised. Hopefully it will translate into many, well-mated queens.

For instance, I recently graduated a colony from an 8-frame medium to an 8-frame deep (so I could grow more deep combs to fill orders for deep nucs), and this colony has just grown two new deep combs in foundationless frames, both combs are almost completely filled with nothing but brood. Both of these deep combs have about 1/3 drone cells, and drone brood. I certainly welcome the drones, but am wondering if the unusually large number of early drones, means the bees are anticipating something, I don't, yet.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Animals and insects are far more superior to us humans in term of "something is up." We often learn from our mistakes afterward while
they plan ahead of time accordingly in order to ensure their survival in the worse of environmental condition. So in anticipation of
the drought for this year they are building up more workers and drones. Drones are stronger than the workers so to make sure
they are well fed they need more workers to do that. As well more drones mean the survival of their species are ensured. No wonder
we have the drone layers when all else have failed. What to do when there is a drought for the beekeeping industry?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts