Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to get good drones from a superior hive, can I put some drone comb ( the one used for mite control) in the hive and a have a load of drones ready for mating flights.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
No, I believe queens fly further than drones before breeding. This stops inbreeding with mother and son, so adding drones to your hive won't help your queens...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That could possibly work, but not likely. Queens search for a drone congregation area that is beyond the range of her own drones. You might be lucky enough to get your drones close enough to the area she is going to. But even then your drones will have to compete with other drones, either from other hives or feral hives. I think some of the big commercial shops do this, but they have a lot of hives in a lot of locations. I don’t think an individual has much of a chance. Last year I discovered another bee keeper about 1000 yards from mine. Off my property and down a dead in dirt road. He came over looking for a lost dog and brought some honey as a gift. You just don’t know where all the hives are…
Good luck

·
Registered
553 Posts
If I want to get good drones from a superior hive, can I put some drone comb ( the one used for mite control) in the hive and a have a load of drones ready for mating flights.
You can but it would be better if you could flood the area with superior drones from many different hives. Joining forces with other beekeepers in your area to do the same with their best hives with help in getting well mated queens.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definetly try and convince some neighboring beeks but I doubt they will do it as they are hobby keepers with one or two hives.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Robbin,
It's virgin and brother. Mom doesn't mate again. I had the same mental lapse in a published article. It will be wrong forever.
Walt

·
Registered
553 Posts
I will definetly try and convince some neighboring beeks but I doubt they will do it as they are hobby keepers with one or two hives.
You might be surprised once you ask. We started a core group in a urban area of Vancouver of about 100 colonies wanting to make their own queens to mate with the local area drones that are from these colonies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts