Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I inspected the bee hive this weekend, I saw some beautifully drawn comb filled with capped worker brood. This frame was perhaps three in from the "end" (furthest back from the front).

Then, I pulled a few bars where some cross-combing was going on, just to see what was up. One of the frames (perhaps 4th from end, out of about 9 bars with some comb), had three different looking capped cells. I am wondering if the bigger, whiter caps are drone or emergency queen cells? The yellow is worker; the blue is drone (I think); but is the red just a really big drone or a queen cell? Although this picture isn't as clear as it could be (sun was in front of the camera -- sorry), there were two of these cells right next to each other. When I did an image search, it seemed possible that these were capped emergency queen, and that perhaps during my last inspection, I killed the queen.

I'm not sure what else would help identification: the bees were calm as always, this frame was closer to the middle, and the frame with the worker brood was further to the end. Maybe they're just really big drone cells?

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are not queen cells. Look for eggs. If you see eggs then you know your queen was in there at least 3 days ago. If your last inspection was more than 3 days ago, you didn't kill her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! It seemed unlikely that I had killed the queen, since there were several bars of capped brood in a robust pattern, but I didn't know how to interpret three different looking cappings! Aah, the wonderful world of n00beeks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts